A little apprehensive we start the day, wondering what the next few days will bring and hoping we have decided wisely to stay here in the lagoon to weather out the storm. First job is to more the boat, Richard has already been along the pontoons and chosen an alternative berth where there are four pillars we can tie our lines to and not have to rely on the cleats.
To make the boat ready for the imminent storm we have to strip her bare, that means anything outside that can move needs to come inside or go into an outside locker. This is so that it doesn´t get destroyed by the high winds when they arrive or blown off the boat and potentially damage another boat. Talking of which looking around the marina which has over 30 boats in it, though only a fraction of sailboats, nobody seems the least bit bothered that there is weather on its way. Then again a lot of them look like they are packed for winter and no one has been on them for a very long time, then there´s another load of motor launchers that are being polished …. Nothing seems tied down, lines used don´t look secure enough to withstand high winds… it´s very perplexing. Whose responsibility is it? The boat owner who should have left someone in charge or the marina who should contact the owner when there is a hurricane due… maybe that’s why the berth Richard chooses in the end is well away from any other boats.
So jobs to do:
- Remove cushions, window shade covers
- Drop sails
- Stow jerry cans
- Put out lots more lines than before
- Secure dinghy and solar panels
- Lower and secure boom
It all takes us most of the morning. If a storm does hit there is likely to be lots of wreckage to the other boats as it stands and as it´s due in the early hours of tomorrow morning time is running short! How bizarre!
After lunch we go to do a skype call to family back home that are online, let them know how things are and that we´re safe. Aren´t we? Then we go ashore for some provisions to tide us over the next few days, while Richard waits on the sail man. While in town (which reminds us a lot of Bocca del Torre, Panama and Soufriere, St Lucia) there is a lot of wind (from a different direction than expected) and then rain as we´re waiting on the water taxi back to the boat.
Hours later, back at the boat, all prepared and battened down, its deathly calm outside. We have dinner and watch a movie and even by 2300 there´s still no sign of the weather system reaching us. We call it a night crossing everything as we go to bed and fully expect it will be busy one when the wind does show up.